Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Dieffenbachia

I decided to buy a houseplant as they are good for purifying indoor air. I went to ACE hardware store and spent ages looking at the different plants. I eventually chose a beautiful medium sized plant which would brighten up my living room. It has gorgeous dark and light green leaves. I also spent a long time putting the plant in different plant pots to see which one I liked best. It was like buying clothes...I settled on a rich brown pot, which you cannot really see in the photo.
Dieffenbachia
I didn't ask many questions about how to look after it as the sales assistants never know the answer anyway!
So when I got home I googled my plant's name and found out it is POISONOUS!!!
This is what it says...
"Painful and immediate swelling of the mouth and throat occurs after chewing. Speech impediment can occur, sometimes lasting for several days. Avoid eye contact with the juices which can result in intense pain and swelling"
 I have no interest in chewing the plant (who would?) but I do have friends with children who visit so it could be potentially dangerous if they touch it!
Now my beautiful killer plant is in the corner, it has grown new leaves which I am proud of. I do like the look of it and I guess it is harmless as long as I don't get hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment