Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lulla's Upside Down Pineapple Cake

When I was younger my family moved to the Middle East (not Dubai) for a few months, but quickly returned to the U.K when we realised we could not hack it out there!
While we were over in the Middle East we discovered that the sweets and chocolates were not upto U.K standard and we were craving something delicious and sweet.
So my Auntie made us an upside down pineapple cake and her touch was to add chocolate sauce, which I have not stopped doing. I have changed the recipe slightly to make it easier for myself.

The topping:
Heat the oven to about 180-200C.
Mix equal amounts of butter and light brown sugar together (50g+) until the mixture is creamy.
Spread the mixture at the base of a cake tin and a little up the side of the tin.
From a tin take some drained pineapple rings and  arrange them on top of the mixture.
Then place glace cherries in the holes of the pineapple.

The cake:
Mix equal amounts of softened butter, caster sugar and self raising flour (100g+) with a a couple of tablespoons of pineapple syrup from the tin. Add 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla and 2 eggs.
Whisk it all together.
Spoon it out onto the topping in the cake tin and ensure that it is at and equal level.


Put it in the oven for 35 minutes and keep an eye on it! When you take it out be really careful and wait a few minutes before turning it upside down.
Ta da!
Yummy pineapple cake! 
I recommend you serve it with chocolate sauce but ice cream or cream would be lovely too!

I'm so proud when it turns out right!
This is how I love it!
This cake is much more elegant than the other recipe I have shared Lullas chocolate delight and I bet my Auntie regretted sharing it with me as she had to make it almost every other day when we were abroad.
Please try it and leave any comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment