Saturday, October 20, 2012

10 reasons why I love my hijab

I work with mostly Non-Muslims and as I was brought up in England I mostly have Non-Muslim friends; therefore I get asked several questions one being:
 'Why do you wear that thing on your head? Why do you cover your hair?' 
Usually I ramble on about protection, religion and so on. I read a great response to this question by another sister. She replied 'Why do you wear clothes?' This led to a discussion about covering up and modesty etc
Another question I have been asked A LOT is 'Do you go to sleep in it?' I always laugh at this. Do they really think that?

NO I do not sleep in it
NO I do not wear it in the shower
YES I do have hair and YES I do brush my hair
NO I am not hot because I am wearing it, who isn't hot in 40 degrees?
NO I am not forced to wear it
NO I do not have alopecia (true story)

Moving on... my 10 reasons why I love my hijab...

1. I am worshiping Allah

2. Wearing the hijab makes me feel protected and safe in Allah's hands

3. Men know that it is not appropriate to approach me most of the time *rolls eyes*

4. I look different everyday as I can experiment with different hijab styles and colours

5. My hijab is a badge that shows I am Muslim and proud

6. Hijabs are cheaper than hair products - 10 dirham at Naif souq, haggle and you will get them even cheaper

7. No more bad hair days, however some days there can be bad hijab days HAHA
8. I feel respected and confident when I am wearing my hijab

9. It is a good topic to talk to Muslims and Non-Muslims about

10. I look and feel beautiful because of my hijab!
I actually do work with a nice bunch of people who always compliment my hijabs. One elderly lady told me how her daughter works in a reception and was told that she is not allowed to wear her hijab. I was so shocked that this would happen in Dubai! Anyway she was telling me how she liked my hijabs and how I cover up, and basically I think I inspired her daughter to fight for her right to wear her hijab. A couple of days ago her company finally agreed to let her wear it, Alhamdullilah!


1 comment:

  1. WOW! only if there was a like button. This is amazing and i can relate to it so much.
    I am surrounded by Muslims, and all of them keep asking me the same questions .___. Many of them find it useless to do hijab especially in the right way. Hope they follow the right path.
    i just wanted to say, this made me really happy that i am not the only one who have to face such questions. Stay Blessed ^_^

    ReplyDelete