Monday, October 22, 2012

How to save money in Dubai

When I first arrived in Dubai I spent ALL of my money! Everything! Every last dirham!
However over the past few years I have become much more money savvy and can actually say I save a good amount each month.

Here are some of my money saving tips:

1. Shop at the Union Co-op

It has great fresh products everytime I go in and the prices are the best I have seen. OK I do like the odd thing from Spinneys or Waitrose but I would never do my whole weekly shop there. I also believe that a busy supermarket is better, as they will continue putting fresh new products out each day. This is one of the supermarkets that does not have a weird smell near the meat and fish counter, so that's a bonus for me!

2. Get a Grazia card

You can register for a Grazia card on their website: Grazia website
This card is free and gets you 20% off at quite a lot of places- fashion, health & beauty and living.
I mostly use it at Forever 21 and New Look which already have decent prices, so with the additional 20% off it's a bargain. Don't go overboard though...remember we are trying to save!
Shukran cards are great too!

3. Don't BOGOF

By two get one free, buy three get one half price, SALE!
Ask your self do I really need this or am I just buying it because there is an offer? Recently I was in The Body Shop and my bill came up to 150 dirhams, the lady said if I spend 200 dirhams I would get a free gift. So STUPIDLY I bought a few more things that I did not need and got a free gift, which was a stinky body spray that The Body Shop probably could not sell so were giving it away instead!

4. Don't join the gym!

I joined a gym last year for about 1800 dirhams for 7 months. My membership has expired and what a waste it was! You can get fit for free by jogging in the park especially since the weather is getting better. I have also started to swim- most apartments have a pool on the roof or you can pay a small fee to use a public pool such as the one in Mushrif Park.

5. Bills, Bills, Bills

Pay your bills as soon as you get them! Don't leave your DEWA or internet bills to build up, as then you will pay a massive amount in one go, which can leave you with little money at the end of the month.

6. Turn the AC off

OK so when it scorching hot the AC is a must, however as the weather is much nicer now you don't need it on. Using the AC timer is also good during the night when you feel too lazy to get up and turn it off. Oh and make sure it is off when you leave your home!

7. Write it down

Keep note of what you spend or keep your receipts. This can help you see where you might be spending unnecessary money!

8. SALIK SHMALIK

Don't use SALIK gates! Well sometimes you need to but use some of the free routes such as Business bay if you can.

9. Eat at home

Dubai has amazing restaurants everywhere you look, but eating out several times a week can add up! I have started eating out less and cooking more at home. I do treat myself at the weekend though. Make your lunch for work the night before if you know you will not make it in the morning.
Throw out all your take-away menus! It is so easy to come home from work, feel tired and dial the number for a pizza. Don't do it! Stock up your fridge with plenty of food (from the Union Co-op, wink, wink) and make meals for the whole week.
This spiced carrot and lentil soup recipe is one of my favourites, it's healthy and quick to make, it can also be reheated.


  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • pinch chilli flakes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 600g carrots , washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
  • 140g split red lentils
  • 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
  • 125ml milk
  • plain yoghurt and naan bread, to serve

  1. Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Scoop out about half of the seeds with a spoon and set aside. Add the oil, carrot, lentils, stock and milk to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
  2. Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer). Season to taste and finish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan bread.
10. Think twice about spending anything

Do you really need that Gloria Jeans coffee every morning or is it just a habit?
Do you want to upsize your meal?
The same chocolate bar in a petrol station is cheaper in a supermarket.
I don't need that free stinky gift!!!

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I have always wanted to go to Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for articles on things to do in Dubai and I came across yours inspiring read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving money requires conscious effort and appropriate planning. The best plan is to Understand how to save money first and then spend what you have left over.

    ReplyDelete