Monday, October 8, 2012

Arabic sweets

One of my favourite places in Dubai is Yamal Al Sham


Yamal Al Sham is an Arabic sweet store. It has many different types of tasty nutty pastries covered with syrup and the most amazing chocolate!!!
You must try the chocolate butterflies which have cornflakes inside YUM!
There are also several different types of flavours including an Arabic cardamon nut type which is divine. The chocolate is not labelled with flavours and the ladies who work there don't really know what's inside each one because there are so many. I suggest you ask for a mixture and see what you like best.

Yamal Al Sham also has a biscuit section, nut section and freshly ground coffee. If you have an allergy to nuts then stay away. 
Mixed nuts
 Before entering the store you can smell the aromas of coffee and sweets. Arab's love a coffee called 'gahwa' which is served with something very sweet like baklawa. This is the store that they get everything from.


My teacup filled with gahwa

During Eid this shop gets crazy busy! Last time we had to wait a couple of hours for 3 small baskets of sweets. Here are the beautiful gift baskets.


I never go to a friend's house without bringing a gift. If it is an Arab friend then I will always buy them a tray of sweets from Yamal Al Sham. And then I buy myself a treat too!

1 comment: