Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day trip to Sheikh Zayed Mosque- Abu Dhabi

Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, UAE
On the second day of Eid my family and I visited Sheikh Zayed Mosque. Everyone always talks about how amazing it is so we decided to check it out. This is the largest Mosque in the UAE and the eighth largest Mosque in the world (number one being Masjid Al-Haram, Mecca obviously).

The inside of the Mosque is decorated beautifully...


The flowers on the wall and the sparkling doorway were magnificent to look at and can be seen as soon as you enter the Mosque.

As you walk through the Mosque there is a wall with the 99 names of Allah in beautiful calligraphy...


There are also many chandeliers which have been imported from Germany and are said to be the third largest in the world. They are covered in Swarovski crystals!
 






There are beautiful pools outside, which gave it a serene feeling even with so many people visiting today. MashAllah it was very quiet.


Now I believe that as I have visited Mecca before this made the whole experience today not as breathtaking as I expected. Also I don't really agree with extravagant Mosques- I mean all that money could have been spent elsewhere. But nevertheless it was nice to walk around and see tourists enjoying finding out about Islam.

After the long drive back from Abu Dhabi (and getting lost) we decided to stop off at the Turkish restaurant Bosporus on Jumeira Beach Road. As I was so hungry I forgot to take a photo of my food before I ate it. However they made fresh bread which was delicious! We also had some kunefe and a special Turkish tea.
 It was a perfect end to the day.

3 comments: