Friday, October 5, 2012

Don't be sad!

I went to my first Islamic lecture in Dubai today. I've been here a few years so it was about time I found an interesting one in English.
The lecture was entitled "Enjoy your life" DON'T BE SAD. I decided to go along even though I live a fair bit away from Jumeira.

So off I go through Dubai traffic and actually get there 30 minutes before the lecture. It was held at Jumeira Islamic Learning Centre  which is in a villa. Being a bit wary I waited until I saw a few other hijabis go in and then followed.
WOW! What a welcome I got! Everyone was so friendly and were just the type of people I was looking for. They were mostly Muslims that were born abroad (US mostly) and reverts.

Anyway getting to the actual lecture Brother Taher Khaled gave a great talk on how we should cleanse our hearts and enjoy our lives.
One way we can do this is by thanking Allah for what we have. Think of people who do not have what we have...Alhamdullillah we have shelter, food, clothing and most importantly knowledge of Islam.

He also mentioned that Hajj was important but can be set aside by some Muslims due to the costs involved. We should put our religion first and sacrifice our need for material goods to add to our religion. I guess this is something that I will be working on this year as I shop too much.
Each time I go to the mall there is another item that I need and spend all day searching for...so wrong but Inshallah I will become wiser. It is a struggle :( I'm happy I have found JILC to bring me knowledge each week.

To finish off here is a photo of when I went to Umrah earlier this year...Inshallah I will make my Hajj in the near future!


Mashallah I was amazed at the size of the Kabaa the whole time I was there!

4 comments:

  1. Assalamou alaykom sister,

    I am feeling happy while reading your posts. I am totally new and lost in Dubai. I would love joining all of you for the Islamic lecture.

    Please let me know the day and hour and how i can get there from Dubai mall. Jazaki allah khayran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waalaikum Assalam!
    The Islamic lectures are in a villa on Al Wasl Road. If you get onto Sheikh Zayed Road and then take the exit for Al Manara St, then again turn right onto Al Wasl road. It is a little further down and it is called the Jumeirah Islamic Learning Centre.
    Usually there is a lecture every Thursday at 8.30am. Inshallah I hope to see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I hope to see you there too! I have a lot of questions, could you please give me your email address so we can chat privately inchaallah? I just added you on Google+. My name is Wiem. Looking forward to speak with you. thanks

      Delete